Tuesday, November 4, 2008

At O'Hare International...on my way

Here I am, yes, in the famous O’Hare Chicago International Airport….what’s so exciting about it??? Frankly nothing for me, except sitting for two hours without internet…yes, I was so excitedly anticipating my time on the ground to when I could get online, yet lo, and behold, I have to pay 6.95 to get online, something I’m not quite willing to do for only two hours..OK, I’m a bit stingy…but it’s just that I believe that it should be FREE!! This is my silent protest to this “capitalistic” system …
I am dead tired, and this is but the first part of this eternal journey into the unkown….Of course yesterday I had a hectic while trying fervently to make everything fit without entering the over-weight suitcase category, so, in order to accomplish such almost impossible feat, I had to pack ALL my books into my carry-on suitcase and laptop case, so you can imagine how heavy it is, me bieng an ardent lover of good books…I simply couldn’t part ways with them, and there are many of them…the result? A 70 ib suitcase and a 20 ib laptop bag…frankly I don’t know how much my laptop bag weighs, but I assure you, it feels like 90 pounds… add all that and a shopping bag with my blanket, no, it’s not a life-sized blanket, just a small pullover, which I simply HAD to include for the wee hours of the morning that await me in Miami… ok, so I looked like a traveling hillbilly with all my pots and pans, but I was content because it all had fit…I was content, yes, that is, till the not-so-tactful airport attendant woke me from my dreaming hopes by telling me I was only allowed two pieces of hand luggage, no exceptions….not even trying to bribe, argue, plead or cry moved or touched his stony heart… so I had to part ways with my beloved pullover….
Now here in O’Hare, after all the walking and almost limping as a result of the tremendous amount of weigh that I pull around plus two sweaters and a jacket, I am not amazed at the freedom of getting online unless you pay...
I saw everyone wearing jackets and warm clothing yet I was sweating as a result of my exertion….oh well…all for the love of good reading…
Anyway…will keep you posted…

2 comments:

  1. hahaha lol you airport hillbilly! Melody and I looked like that when we just went to GYC because we packed a bunch of food on our carry-on luggage it was hilarious the bread was completely smashed by the time we got to San Jose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this sounds so much like what happened to me! I had to part ways with my essential carry-on (which included some documents and my wallet) so I could keep my violin and my laptop with me :S

    those airport attendants can be such a nightmare for innocent little travelers like us!

    ReplyDelete