Saturday, January 15, 2011

What I learned today..

Today, I learned a very important lesson. Yet did I learn it, or had I learned it before, yet chosen to ignore it? You see, we all discover things in life, as we grow and learn with relationships, people, feelings, pain and love. And when we get burned, we decide to shut ourselves in and never open up, never let it happen again. But time goes by and it heals us. And we forget the pain and disappointment and decide to give our hearts another shot. And we say to ourselves, ‘this friendship is different, he/she have what it takes to be a true friend. ‘ But here’s the mistake, even if they have the best intentions in the world, they are also human, and are bound to make a mistake sooner or later. And they will hurt us down the road, whether they mean to or not. And again, when that happens, we tell ourselves, ‘never again!!’ But why say never again? Why not instead learn that we all make mistakes not just them, and that no one is perfect?


The real lesson to be learned is to forgive. To learn have a noble heart and be willing to give that friend another chance, and also give ourselves the opportunity to see beyond the mistakes to that human person inside. Learn not hold a grudge, but to forgive others and ourselves.

So what did I learn today? What was that very important lesson that I was reminded of? When I started writing this, I was gonna say my new lesson was not to trust anyone ever again, to expect betrayal and shut myself form sharing in anticipation of that scenario. But even though it’s true that friends hurt us, I shouldn’t give up on them. Not when God hasn’t given up on me. My lesson is to learn instead to know when to speak and when to hold my peace. To know what’s important to share, and what really isn’t. To not try and fix problems between two persons, they are bound to fix their problems themselves. That when I start going in between them and trying to be an advocate, more times than once it’s a mistake. They can fix their problems on their own, and if they don’t, then that’s their call. But overall, to know there WILL be mistakes, because we are all human. And because of that, there will also be misunderstandings. The thing to do is to learn and accept that fact and move past it. And sometimes too, distance is needed. Not as a vengeful kind of thing, or as a ‘You hurt me so now you won’t have my friendship’ kind of thing. More of an I’m learning also and I need to correct mistakes and not repeat them kind of way. And yes, forgive. Give another chance. That’s what I learned today.

1 comment:

  1. What a valuable lesson that is. Funny (interesting), for some reason I was thinking about that this morning: that I will disappoint people and people wil disappoint me; I will disappoint God and He wil NEVER disappoint me, and if it looks like He's disappointing me, there's something wrong with my perspective.

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete