Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Random moment of Colombian Patriotism




Colombians are very patriotic people. And I guess it’s because we have a lot to be proud of, even though some bad reputation worldwide has tarnished our good name!! Either way, almost every Colombian I have met is fiercely proud of his country and culture. And I had been telling that to my American boyfriend but I guess it didn’t completely sink in till last Sunday. We were driving along interstate 20, via Dallas, and I was driving while my bf was in the passenger seat. Of course, being the patriotic Colombian that I am, I have a Colombian flag hanging from the rear view mirror in my car. Anyway, we passed a huge pickup truck with a trailer in tow- and guess what: he had a sticker of Colombia on his back window, so I thought, how cool! Another Colombian!
My fellow countryman, however, was a bit more enthusiastic when as he passed me and glanced over, suddenly seeing my Colombian flag.. He slowed down till we were side by side, and started blowing the horn, like 3 times and waving wildly at us with a wide smile on his face! I obviously responded with more honking and waving.. it was an awesome feeling of patriotism right there… I mean, when do you randomly drive past another proud Colombian? And much more, when he unashamedly goes overboard trying to bond with you while driving on the highway just because you happen to be from the same wonderful country, and you are so proud you actually feel the world just stop there for a minute??
Oh it was priceless. You know what was also priceless?? The look of utter embarrassment on my bf’s face. I’m guessing he will never underestimate Colombians again. He didn’t think it had been cool no matter how over excited I was for the rest of the trip. “Colombians are definitely out there”, he muttered to himself.. no matter. I absolutely loved every second of it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment